Lithium Ion Battery in a Vaporizer
What do you need to consider when using lithium ion rechargeable batteries with your vaporizer?
Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries are used for most portable vaporizers and have many advantages such as high energy densities (high cell voltages and capacities), no memory effect, and barely noticeable self-discharge at normal room temperatures. Since these batteries require a certain amount of care to perform at their best, we want to give you a few tips to help you get the most out of your batteries. After that, we'll go over the most important issues when dealing with lithium ion batteries.
General info in dealing with lithium batteries:
- Lithium-containing batteries and rechargeable batteries are safe when handled properly.
- If improperly used and stored, lithium-containing batteries and rechargeable batteries can cause fires.
- Do not use defective, damaged, deformed or inflated batteries and accumulators.
- Consider charging rules to extend the life of batteries.
Batteries and rechargeable batteries (even damaged) do not belong in household waste. Disposes of old batteries and rechargeable batteries properly in the collection boxes in the trade (eg at Verdampftnochmal) or at collection points such as large supermarkets. Important: Tape the poles beforehand to avoid a short circuit.
What many do not know: Collected waste batteries are fed exclusively to the recycling. Valuable metals such as nickel, cobalt, lithium, manganese, copper, iron, aluminum and even silver can be recovered and reused as secondary raw materials.
What are the types of lithium batteries for vaporizers?
There are basically three types of lithium batteries used in almost all portable vaporizers. The 18650 is the most common battery which is also used in most e-cigarettes. There is also the 18350, which is about half the size of its big brother, and the 26650, which is larger but rarely used. In addition, there is still a variety of fixed batteries which can have almost all sizes and shapes, depending on the product in which they are integrated (vaporizer or electric car).
What should you look for when buying a rechargeable battery?
Before buying a new battery, there are a few technical things to consider: In addition to the charging capacity (specified in mAh), the maximum discharge current (specified in amps) also plays an important role. The more charge capacity, the longer your battery will last, the higher the ampere number, the more power the battery has.
This is especially important for vaporizers that require a lot of power, such as the TinyMight or the Tetra P80 from Lamart. The Molicel INR18650-P28A have proven to be very good for this. For most vaporizers, you can use our Samsung batteries. If you are unsure, then of course you can always ask us.
What to be aware of when handling lithium ion batteries? Our safety tips:
If the positive and negative terminals are connected via something that conducts electricity, this will lead to discharge and, in the worst case, a short circuit.
- Too much heat or cold can damage the batteries
- Protect from direct sunlight and moisture
- Store batteries in containers, or protective cases when not in use
- Do not use batteries with damaged casings
- Never put rechargeable batteries in your pocket with loose change or keys
- Do not store batteries in the car
- We recommend, depending on the type of use and quality of the batteries, to replace them every 12 months
Charging lithium-ion batteries properly:
The lithium ion batteries used in vaporizers have no memory effect as you may know it from other batteries. But again, you should never completely drain the battery (deep discharge), because this complete discharge can damage the battery in the long term. Some models therefore have integrated protection against deep discharge. So that your battery lasts as long as possible, we recommend to use the battery with a charge level of 20 - 90%.
What is the best way to charge the battery of my vaporizer?
You can easily charge the fixed battery of your vaporizer with the included USB cable. Please use exactly these cables if possible, because not every USB cable is the same and the manufacturers give the appropriate cables directly with the vaporizer.
Although almost all battery carriers have a USB port that can also be used to charge the 18650s, this should only serve as an emergency solution. Many vaporizer manufacturers advise to use an external charger, because with a charger the batteries are charged much more gently and the lifetime is extended. Additionally, you can adjust the charging current as desired.
If batteries are charged in the charger, or even in the vaporizer, please do not do this unattended. The reason is the same why you do not turn on the washing machine and then go out of the house. Something can always happen. Insurance companies are especially happy about this, because in such cases they could refuse payment.
These 5. tips you should keep in mind when you charge your vaporizer:
- Charge the battery before first use to the desired %
- Charge at room temperature
- Frequent charging is useful and will not harm the battery
- Do not leave charging unattended
- Use external charger and charge with low amps
Marry batteries: What does it mean?
If you are using a vaporizer with two or more batteries, such as the Boundless Tera, it is advisable to "marry" the battery pair, trio or quartet. This means: you use the batteries that belong together as if they were a single battery, so that they always receive the same number of charge and discharge cycles. in this way, you achieve an almost equally fast aging of the batteries.
How long will my battery last in the vaporizer?
How long the batteries will last depends on a few factors:
- Is the battery new and of high quality?
- Is the battery (almost) fully charged?
- What temperature is used in the vaporizer? The higher the temperature the faster the battery is empty
- Pulling technique (long or short pulls) also has an impact on the life per charge cycle
- Type and model of vaporizer, because convection consumes more battery power than conduction for example
- Some vaporizers use Bluetooth for connectivity. This also goes to the power of the batteries
We hope that we were able to shed some light on the junk of lithium batteries and that you will have more of your batteries in the future and end up saving money and protecting the environment.